With all the figures hitting in the last week or two showing us off the various different most searched and trended topics on Google, Bing, Twitter and everything else that keeps track, YouTube has been surprisingly quiet, until now at least.
The figures for YouTube’s most watched videos aren’t too surprising, but there are some that caught us off guard a little. The results are, for the most part, global, so we don’t need to worry about there being separate US and UK categories. Instead, YouTube’s figures just boast the top five videos for this year, with Susan Boyle leading the way (despite having trailed Michael Jackson in yesterday’s Twitter trend topics).
The top five most viewed videos on YouTube this year were:
1. Susan Boyle – Britain’s Got Talent (120+ million views)
2. David After Dentist (37+ million views)
3. JK Wedding Entrance Dance (33+ million views)
4. New Moon Movie Trailer (31+ million views)
5. Evian Roller Babies (27+ million views)
If nothing else, we were pleased to see one thing on the list that we didn’t recognise (Evian Roller Babies is a joy to behold). Similarly, the top five music videos on YouTube this year seems to have been put there by a demographic that we share little in common with…
1. Pitbull – I Know You Want Me (82+ million views)
2. Miley Cyrus – The Climb (64+ million views)
3. Miley Cirus – Party in the USA (54+ million views)
4. The Lonely Island – I’m on a Boat (48+ million views)
5. Keri Hilson – Knock You down (35+ million)
If nothing else, it’s interesting to see two MIley Cyrus videos in there, if only because it tells us an awful lot about the users who are dragging in an awful lot of money for the folks at YouTube. It’s also curious that Rick Astley has fallen from grace so completely… it seems that no amount of Rickrolls this year could amount to a spot in the top five.
If you’d like to check out more of the top viewed on YouTube, you should hit up the official blog post with the listings.